The Isle of Man often gets all sorts of beef for being a so-called tax haven. Apparently, we’re overflowing with tax-dodging gazillioniares and money-laundering criminals.
But, that’s not really true. We’re actually bigger swots than lots of countries when it comes to following the rules.
So let’s take a moment to consider all the other things that makes the Isle of Man such an awesome place to live, work and play:
- Our local food & drink produce is top notch
- You never have to queue for anything (except Gary Barlow tickets)
- Our dark skies are amazing
- The Isle of Man is so h*ckin’ pretty it’s been awarded Unesco world biosphere status
- The Gibb Brothers are from here, and therefore so are the Bee Gee’s and therefore pop music was born here
- We’re one of the few places in the world where you can watch world class racing from a hedge row with a beer in hand, close enough to feel the wind off the bikes
- Once a year we get to channel our Viking ancestors and race longboats absolutely trousered on ale – pillaging of villages not essential
- We also race in tin baths
- We’ve got the Fonz on our £20 notes
- We’re home to a talking mongoose called Gef 😉
- We have the most beautiful sunsets
- We invented the world’s first Hipster burger – we’re looking at you The Big Grid
- Sam Barks is from here, and she’s best pals with Russell Crowe – so we are too
- Full time facebook entertainment #cucumbergate
- Home of that little car – the Peel P50
- Amazing creative talent in every corner of the island
- Home to one of the world’s best fiddlers
- We invented Black Eye Friday
- We have some brilliant young entrepreneurs
- Saddleoke. Enough said.
- We have ‘Blue Planet’ style sightings – basking sharks, seal pups, dolphins…!
- A higher % of world class cyclists per capita than any other country are from the IoM
- There are exactly three ways to settle an issue:
– there’s a boat in the morning
– bring back the birch (reserved only for when you’ve been a total bastard)
– traa dy liooar yessir
- Award-winning nightclubs like the Outback, of course.
- If you lose your friends on a night out you’ll most likely bump into someone you know within 30 seconds
- HEY BAHHHHH is a common greeting, usually shouted as loudly as possibly from across the street
- Everyone knows someone who can get them mates rates/discounts/fast tracked for something
- Locals are very proud and patriotic residents, especially when the Island is under attack *cough panorama cough*
- The world’s best eggs and honesty boxes!
- It’s so expensive to get here it *almost* feels like you’re going on a trans-Atlantic tropical holiday, but without the 12 hour flight times!
- There’s a 36% chance you’re inbred…..
- BUT, you have Viking ancestors so it’s all cool
- We have the highest number of accountants per square metre in the northern hemisphere, followed closely by white van men.
- We also have the highest number of sports shops on one street than any other nation
- The longest commute is only 15 mins
- We regularly experience four seasons in one day – talk about spoiling us!
- There is genuinely fresh air here. Go on, take a deep breath
- Everyone knows everyone (or someone that knows them)
- Where else can you literally be 10 minutes from anywhere to a beautiful beach, glen or forest
- Our sheep are bad@ss
- We invented chips, cheese & gravy – Canada, let this one go pal
- We get around. Wherever you go in the world, you’ll spot a Manxie
- We defeated the Romans (well, they didn’t make it here anyway)
- We can all fit inside Wembley football stadium
- Pilates was invented here during the First World War
- World’s best ice cream, Davisons!
- Our flag featured on ‘Fun with Flags’ on the Big Bang Theory
- We have our own Mr. Men man: ‘Mr.Isle of Man’
- Every single one of us has conquered a mountain
- You can complete Tinder
- Gimli from Lord of the Rings loves it here
- And some Game of Thrones actor and member of the Night’s Watch lives here (saw him in Tesco m8)
- We stood up to Jeremy Clarkson – a hard task indeed
- Kit Harrington (Jon Snow, swoon) has been here…. And Zac Efron
- We can choose to support any ‘home nation’ in any sport…. “Yaaaay go the winners!” – except when the IOM is competing – we’re patriotic as f*ck then
- John Lennon came here on holiday as a child….taking credit for inspiring his legendary songs
- We have a sky bridge!
- We get an extra 3.4ml of gin in our topic… ⅕ gill=28.4m – so we’re hosting an GIN FEST to use the extra alcohol!
- It’s genuinely a safe place to live, lowest crime levels in the UK
- We have the IOM Pure Beer Act. That’s some pure tasty beer there, fella.
What have we missed?